copy protection - was: Re: Is it time for playing games on WINE?

Tom twickline at skybest.com
Tue Nov 4 07:26:29 CST 2003

Zsolt Rizsanyi wrote:

> So this is what I think that the status of copy protection is. If I'm wrong
> somewhere then please correct me.

Hi,

Yea I think your correct...... here is his post...
http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-patches/2002/04/0194.html

And our last exchange: Zsolt
http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-devel/2002/12/0462.html

And Patrik Stridvall's reply
http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-devel/2002/12/0461.html

To quote Patrick

"Correct, it didn't support SafeDisc 2. However I
think that at least part of it was accepted. Anyway the
reason that some part was not not accepted was not
DMCA related."

Okay.... If its not the DCMA then why has this code not been accepted??

In Laurent Pincharts  words........

"safedisc-dmca.diff contains the code which *might* infringe the DMCA.
In my
opinion it doesn't, but I'm not a lawyer."

So......

Alexandre, is there any chance of this code *ever* being excepted into
the wine tree?
If not what would need to be done for exceptence to take place?

If this code has a "snowballs chance in hell" of ever being excepted
into the tree
then "please" let me and the others here know....

Or better yet...... if Jer, has a lawyer who is setting around looking
at his secretaries
back end.. He could ask him what his thoughts on this would be,  and
this whole discussion
could come to a....... well lets only hope a happy end......

Please reply...... As I hate spam but i'm not over spamming to get a
reply ;)

Tom