copy protection - was: Re: Is it time for playing games on WINE?

Carlos Lozano clozano at andago.com
Wed Nov 5 03:19:44 CST 2003

El mié, 05 de nov de 2003, a las 00:50, Raphaël Junqueira escribio:

> > > Alexandre, is there any chance of this code *ever* being excepted into
> > > the wine tree?
> >
> > None whatsoever, the driver "reimplementation" is clearly a DMCA
> > violation. The proper way to do that is to somehow load the driver and
> > let it perform all the checks it wants to perform; a dummy driver that
> > returns magic values to bypass the checks is not acceptable.
> >

> Why about trying to get this driver working on top of current ntdll ?
> All drivers accesses should pass by kernel calls no ?

Hmm, really loading/running the driver we will only move the
"magic" a bit lower. If i have understood correctly what secdrv.sys
does, it simply checks if there is a debugger running. So, in some point
it will have to ask to the core (wine):

secdrv.sys = "is there a debugger running there?"
wine       = "Here?? Noo!!!, how can you think so? ;)"

I think that we should ask to a lawyer, because we could be sitting
a bad precedent, about what can be implemented, and what can't :/

Regards,
Carlos.

--
 ___         _          \  |  /  Consulting
| . |._ _  _| | ___  ___  ___    http://www.andago.com
 Carlos A. Lozano   <___'/ | \ -_) __/\__ \ >  <  -_)
 [ carlos.lozano at andago.com ]\___|_|  ____/ _/\_\___|
 [ calb at epsxe.com           ]  http://www.ePSXe.com