Visuals and GL contexts

Jason Edmeades us at the-edmeades.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 5 15:23:59 CST 2003

Hello,

I've finally pinned down a problem (with help from Lucho) to do with
blending and its back to the same old problem that by the time D3D8 gets
initialized, the windows has already been created, but the properties of
the visual are insufficient to handle the requirements of D3D.

In my case for example by default, the visual used for my windows has
double buffering, but no alpha channel. X11DRV process attach has some
code which allows control over the visual created, but this is before we
know what is going to be required, and this only gets called if
DesktopDoubleBuffer is set to Y.

In my case, I need an alpha channel on the back buffer. By default, I
havent got one. I can add code into the X11DRV_setup_opengl_visual to
ask for an 8 bit alpha and everything works perfectly.

So....

1. Should I add a new config option (something like RequireAlphaChannel)
- FWIW I hate this idea
2. Is it ever going to be possible to replace a wine Xwindows visual?
What is involved in doing this? This is the 'perfect' solution.
3. Can I default double buffering and alpha on regardless and remove the
doublebuffering property. How does this affect non game apps?

We need to resolve this to ever support games properly without lots of
config options

Jason