Forte Agent 2.0 (closed beta)

Rein Klazes rklazes at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 6 10:28:32 CST 2003

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 14:24:06 +0000, you wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 23:19, Boris 'pi' Piwinger wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I am new to the list and have Linux at home since last
> > Thursday. I am still having some problems getting Forte
> > Agent to work under Wine, but I am involved into (closed)
> > beta testing for Forte Agent for many years and we just got
> > the first shot at 2.0 which will change a lot anyway. Some
> > problems are gone, but some serious problems are new.
>
> You didn't say what Forte Agent is, so I'll assume you mean this:
>
> http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php
>
> ie, a newsreader.

And a mail client. It is the second most used newsreader on usenet,
close behind you know what.

> As you're new to Linux I'll point out that you can use
> several good native newsreaders, like Pan or KNode. Is there any reason
> you want Forte in particular?

Well, Ive been using Agent under wine for at least 5 years. My reasons
are not unlike those of others:

- Don't like changing my news/mail client. Completely rusted stuck.

- Pan and KNode are two of those examples where an application under
wine may run more stable then a native app. Agent seems to be programmed
quite intelligently, despite hundreds of crashes, I've not seen a data
corruption/loss. Pan and KNode did several times in a handfull of tests.

- KNode is, or was the last time I tried, totally unsuitable for
off-line newsreading.

Rein.
--
Rein Klazes