copy protection - was: Re: Is it time for playing games on WINE?

Ivan Leo Murray-Smith puoti at inwind.it
Thu Nov 6 18:41:28 CST 2003

>I don't get it. As far as I understand, so long as the code in the Wine
>archives does not allow running copied discs, we are not violating the
>DMCA. If someone else takes Wine code and modifies it, that's where the
>DMCA violation happens.
Right, I think a lot of people would be happy to host the code, only that
codeweavers can'thost wine anymore, and we use sourceforge (You an just publish
binaries, but we can maybe ask if we can if we host the source somewhere else),
but until wine doesn't allow to run copyed discs, I don't see the problem, Of
course, the sode may be easy to change, but if you put it like that then cd
recorders should be illegal too.