copy protection - was: Re: Is it time for playing games on WINE?

Gregory M. Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Thu Nov 6 20:28:37 CST 2003

On Thursday 06 November 2003 03:31 pm, Geoff Thorpe wrote:
> War crime tribunals, environmental protection treaties, privacy
> legislation, ... the ability to let chilling effects meet little or no
> significant organised obstacle has become the trademark of a certain
> breed of "freedom-loving" people. Bruce Schneier once said that the "war
> on drugs" was the root password to the US constitution. I think they
> changed the password recently to use "terrorism" instead of "drugs", but
> it's still much the same dance - ridiculous legislation is ushered in in
> the name of "protecting rights" when in fact it is invariably used to
> achieve quite the opposite. The issue is not whether you exercise a
> personal disobedience to it, because Wine itself certainly can't, but
> whether something can be done to aid efforts to overturn these laws. In
> the mean time, (and as long as people in the US are involved in Wine,)
> we're stuck with them.

Here here!

It is really unfortunate that wine is another victim of the DMCA, but I'd
rather Alexandre played it safe, lest we be made an "example."  If some
rebellious individuals want to contribute these sorts of patches, as sort of
an act of civil disobedience, I suggest they post them to /freenet/.  Once
the DMCA is eliminated (one can hope...), then A can reconsider.

--
gmt

"It is to be the assent and ratification of the several States,
derived from the supreme authority in each State, the authority
of the people themselves.  The act, therefore, establishing the
Constitution, will not be a NATIONAL, but a FEDERAL act." --James
Madison, Federalist No. 39