copy protection - was: Re: Is it time for playing games on WINE?

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 9 11:17:56 CST 2003

Hello,

--- Raphaël_Junqueira <fenix at club-internet.fr> wrote:
> it is simple, only a PE module who work on kernel mode using os APIs:
>
> - -=(FeniX as fenix at DarkBluE)-(on tty2)-(at 13:39:31)=-
>  -={$:'~'}=->winedump dump -j import
> /mnt/win_c2/windows/system32/drivers/
> secdrv.sys
> Contents of "/mnt/win_c2/windows/system32/drivers/secdrv.sys": 27440
> bytes
>
> Import Table size: 40
>   offset 25404 ntoskrnl.exe
>   Hint/Name Table: 00006364
>   TimeDataStamp:   00000000 (Thu Jan  1 01:00:00 1970)
>   ForwarderChain:  00000000
>   First thunk RVA: 00000260 (delta: 4294967295 0xffffffff)
>   Ordn  Name
>    252  IoDeleteSymbolicLink 644a
>    251  IoDeleteDevice 63b4
>    247  IoCreateSymbolicLink 63c6
>    243  IoCreateDevice 63de
>    720  RtlInitUnicodeString 63f0
>    687  RtlEqualUnicodeString 6408
>    519  NtBuildNumber 6420
>    760  RtlQueryRegistryValues 6430
>    599  PsGetVersion 63a4
>    434  KeTickCount 6462
>    479  MmIsAddressValid 6470
>    792  RtlUnwind 6492
>     54  ExAllocatePoolWithTag 649e
>     66  ExFreePool 64b6
>    325  IofCompleteRequest 64c4
>
> Done dumping /mnt/win_c2/windows/system32/drivers/secdrv.sys
>
> The problem is how emulate windows kernel internal behavior (ie
> assembly tips
> as NtCurrentTeb)

We have been looking in to loading this driver under ReactOS and all of
the functions are implemented but it still returns STATUS_UNSUCESSFULL.
I think that the imports of "PsGetVersion and NtBuildNumber" might have
something to do with it. The driver works under my Windows NT 4 laptop
but not ReactOS. We may just have to hard code the values to match NT 4
and it could work.

If we can get it to load on ROS it will be up to you guys to figure out
a way to adapt ROS+WINE to play nice together. =)

Thanks
Steven