Zombies (was : Conformance tests...)

Paul Millar paulm at astro.gla.ac.uk
Tue Nov 11 04:56:20 CST 2003

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, [iso-8859-1] Sylvain Petreolle wrote:
> The execution of the attached script in dlls/ shows the only dll test
> which generates orphaned zombies is kernel.

Actually shows the cumulative total.  I took the liberty of hacking it a
bit.  See
  http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/paulm/Scripts/zombtest

[...]
> Paul, Sami, (and perhaps others),
> could you run this script and send me the results ?

OK, here's the result of some investigations:

  o  On lilith (RH-7.3, gcc-2.96, glibc-2.2.5-43, 2.4.20 kernel) *no*
     zombies are generated for the conformance tests.

  o  On quisquiliae (RH-7.3, gcc-3.2.1, glibc-2.2.5-43, 2.6.0-test8
     kernel) a single zombie is created, which happens when the kernel
     DLL tests are run.

  o Copying the whole lilith-compiled wine tree across to quisquiliae and
    re-running zombtest, I get a zombie.

Looks suspiciously like the 2.6.0-test8 kernel is to blame. To confirm
this, I rebooted quisquiliae using a 2.4.20-kernel.  Guess what?  No
zombies.

> Paul, could you say more about this one?
> > I get about six zombies per regression test.  I tracked one of these
> > zombies down to the kernel/test/process.c test_DebuggingFlag()'s
> > ContinueDebugEvent() call, which disappears into wineserver.

Not that much more.  Originally, when running the full gamut of
conformance tests on my laptop (which is running 2.6.0-test9), six zombies
orphan processes were created.

One of these zombies was created when running the kernel DLL tests (the
one that is created when running 2.6.0-test8).  I tracked the problem down
to tests/process.c line 967:
        ContinueDebugEvent(de.dwProcessId, de.dwThreadId, DBG_CONTINUE);