Wine 20031016 "Wingdings" font encoding problem?

Parzival Herzog parzp at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 12 13:01:01 CST 2003

I have wine-20031016 built from source installed on Mandrake 9.1
Programs that had displayed certain characters from the Windows "Wingdings"
font, now display the box that signifies that the character code is not
present in the font. With the standard wine (20030315) installed with
Mandrake, these characters used to showed up as the astrological zodiac
signs, i.e. Aries, Taurus, etc., just as they do when my program is run
natively.

The font is copied from windows, the Wingdings Truetype font.

The character codes are
(decimal) 94 - 105
(hex)       0x5E - 0x69
(ascii)     "^" - "i"

I have installed these Windows fonts under KDE, and, if I select the Wingdings
font in, say KDE Kwrite, and type "^_`abcdefghi", all the expected character
glyphs show.

is this a bug, or a configuration problem?

(I use some other non-Microsoft fonts as well, and some of these work, for the
codes used, and some don't, although with earlier versions of wine, they all
worked. Since Wingdings is a well-known and used font, I hope that solving
the problem for it, will solve it for the others as well.)

--
Parzival Herzog