Potential forum at linuxquestions.org

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Thu Nov 13 03:44:56 CST 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:15:09 -0800, Sir Dan Kegel scribed thus:
> That question, plus all the 'advantages' you list,
> indicate that you do indeed intend it to replace
> wine-users, at least for some users.

Yes, for those users for whom it's clearly not working (otherwise why are
there so many wine related posts in random web forums scattered around the
net)?

> A web interface that let you post to the mailing list would
> be fine.  A web forum would not.  It would mean that, if I
> wanted to answer user questions, I'd have to get used to
> another strange interface that probably has crappy indexing
> and is full of fruity HTML that gets in the way.

Actually, the LQ archives are indexed very well by Google (and they use a
heavily stripped form of HTML). It also has a built in search feature, as
well as an instant "threads similar to this one".

> I have read linuxquestions.org a bit, and don't like it much;
> I dislike the idea of encouraging people to use closed discussion
> forums like that, which don't support any sort of external archiving.

I don't see how they are closed. They're indexed by Google, it has its own
search engine built in (which is more than wine-users does), and anybody
can access them without needing to sign up.

> Shall I prepare patches for the website to implement these changes
> so people can see what I'm suggesting?

Go ahead, but a few minor rejigs to WineHQ are not a replacement for a
web forum. Or do you think we should shut down #winehq too, on the grounds
that it's not archived at all and you need to use strange clients with
fruity syntax?

thanks -mike