Cross-platform resource API

Eric Pouech pouech-eric at wanadoo.fr
Thu Nov 13 13:51:57 CST 2003

Jean-Claude Gervais wrote:
> Thank you very much, Eric,
>
> 	For taking the time to help me.
> 	I'm afraid I may not have explained my problem very clearly:
>
> 	First, if I use Winelib, must I bind the resources to my executable?
> The reason I ask is because since I am developing an application for the
> Mac, can I bind resources to the Macintosh exectable? I thought that
> that might be a problem.
that's supported. resources are compiled as a big byte array (as a C
file), and then included in the exec.

> 	I understand that Wine has components in it that are like a system
> loader, meaning that it is able to bring the executable image into
> memory and then resolve the .DLL entry points it needs. This is more
> than what I need, actually.
yes

> 	Also, I don't expect that it can do this with a Macintosh executable,
> or can it?
as of today, winelib programs are system shareable libraries, loaded by
a system executable called wine. (replace here system by mac, linux...).

> 	That's why I was wondering if the resource-manipulation routines can
> read .RES files, which should (in theory) be platform independant.
they are partly portable (except for typedefs, remaining calls...)

> 	OK, so in essence, what I am looking for is portable code that will be
> able to walk a .RES file and load things from it.
then do as Alexandre suggested.
A+
--
Eric Pouech