Further loader/pthread.c issues

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Sat Nov 15 13:08:16 CST 2003

Gerald Pfeifer <gerald at pfeifer.com> writes:

> Would you mind reverting this, at least for FreeBSD?  FreeBSD does have
> POSIX threads, in -STABLE and especially improved in -CURRENT (which will
> soon become the stream for regular releases.

Posix threads are not enough, we need an implementation that works the
way NPTL works on Linux, based on kernel threads, and with kernel
support for signals, thread register, ptrace, etc. Last I checked
FreeBSD was a user-mode implementation, which cannot possibly be made
to work. If this has changed and FreeBSD uses kernel threads now, they
could maybe be used depending on how they are implemented, but this
will require a lot more work that simply linking against libpthread.
This will have to be done by someone who understands the FreeBSD
pthreads implementation in detail; and until this is done there is
no point in enabling wine-pthread on FreeBSD.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com