Mac OS X Compilation broken

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Tue Nov 18 16:11:56 CST 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:55:21 +0100, Sir Pierre d'Herbemont scribed thus:
> I am getting the following error when launching wine:
> iMac:~ steg$ wine
> wine: failed to initialize: dlcompat: dyld: wine Undefined symbols:
> __end
>
> In fact the error appears when loading ntdll. Any idea?

A quick google would have shown you that _end points to the end of the
uninitialized data section:

http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mansec?3C+_end

AFAIK it's put there by the linker. Presumably the MacOS linker does not
do that, or for some reason the scoping is different and ntdll cannot see
it.