Reject wildcards in directory names

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Tue Nov 25 14:14:10 CST 2003

Alexandre Julliard wrote:

>It seems to be a way to detect NT/Win95, I suspect Win95 returns a
>different error code in that case. Using GetVersion() would of course
>have been too easy...

And that, after they DO call "GetVersion", and do keep a variable
telling whether it's NT or not. Oh well.

Would you say that returning the error in the patch only if the platform
is NT type will be a correct thing to do? If so, I'll send a patch.

>>One possible workaround that may satisfy both Alexandre and unicows
>>may be to put the wildcards checking code into the error part of the
>>function. In other words, if we have not found such a file, return
>>ERROR_INVALID_NAME if the name contains wildcards, and
>>ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND if not. This way, if the file IS found, it will
>>be handled correctly.
>>

>Well, yes, that was the idea. The normal case is that the file doesn't
>exist, and in that case we of course need to return the proper error
>(also taking Windows version into account apparently...)

I'll send a patch, then.

>Anyway, I looked into your unicows exe, and I believe the problem is
>that the home-made GetProcAddress that unicows.lib is using doesn't
>support forwarded ordinals, so I'm afraid we'll need to export real
>functions from unicows.dll.

I already have a plan for doing that. Unfortunetly, it's not a nice one.
Basically, it means changing unicows.spec.c after it's generated. I'll
try to create the makefile so that this will still support dynamic changes.

--
Shachar Shemesh
Open Source integration & consulting