Default printer and patch management

Ivan Leo Murray-Smith puoti at inwind.it
Thu Nov 27 17:23:48 CST 2003

For all wine files that contain code written by others:
>a) Just keep them "secret" until I get paid, at which point I send them
>in all together. Pros: Simple, Cons: people might duplicate my work.
Good idea

>b) Notify the Wine community of what the patches do/are but keep their
>contents secret.
LGPL violation, if you give your customer a LGPL'ed binary of wine, you must
give them (Or at least offer them) access to the source, and you can't legally
stop him/them from sending the code to wine-patches (Even if he/they may not
have any interest in doing so)

>c) Post them all to wine-devel but under a license that prevents them
>being merged unless you get a special exception from me. That way people
>can see, peer review the patches etc but they don't get committed. Of
>course, as this is just supposed to be insurance anyway, that seems a
>bit worthless.
Obvious and explicit LGPL violation.

>d) Say "screw it", submit as usual and just hope I'm dealing with
>trustworthy people (unfortunately no contract in this case, the job
>isn't really big enough to warrant one).
Probably in your interest to opt for A, you can never be sure.

Of course, if the code you've written is just say a dll that's linked to/by
wine,and you're the only author of that file/dll/whatever, you can even keep if
proprietary and choose options b or c or just keep the code totally secret(That's
what Transgaming and Codeweavers do). Alternatively, you can ask the copyright
holders of the files you've modified for a special license that allows
commercial use, in this case you can keep the code closed, and opt for b or d,
or keep the code totally secret.
Have a good look at
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.txt