Mysterious icon-change

Rolf Kalbermatter rolf.kalbermatter at citeng.com
Fri Nov 28 01:53:44 CST 2003

Mike Hearn <mike at theoretic.com> wrote:

>The Windows icon cache has always been one of the buggiest pieces of
>code. I always assumed they fixed it for NT/2000/XP but it wouldn't
>surprise me in the slightest if it still gets corrupted at times.
>
>On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 02:36, Jakob Eriksson wrote:
>> I am told this is what the Internet Explorer icon looks like after
>> winetests.exe is run.
>> Strange eh?
>>
>> http://vmlinux.org/~jakov/crazy-icon.jpg

It does on my W2K SP4. At random the icon cache gets mixed up and suddenly
a lot of icons don't match anymore. It is especially bad with Icon Overlays.

I use Tortoise CVS, a CVS shell extension, and their newest version has a
special command built into their context menu to rebuild the icon cache. I
do have some suspicions that Tortoise CVS may be responsible for some of
the icon distortion but it happens regularly even when using normal MS
applications.

Rolf Kalbermatter