winsock: remove annoying message

Juan Lang juan_lang at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 28 13:43:06 CST 2003

--- Rein Klazes <rklazes at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 14:31:45 -0800 (PST), you wrote:
>
> > ChangeLog: remove annoying message about missing
> entry
> > in /etc/services
> >
> > The behavior when the entry is missing is already
> > correct, so the warning isn't useful.
>
> Well if that call fails on Wine+Linux but succeeds
> on Windows I don't
> call that correct, even if is not technically Wine
> that is wrong. Point
> is that there is no other place then inside Wine to
> put this message.

I don't think the behavior is any different under
Windows and Wine+Linux, that's why I felt the warning
is useless.  I just observed that Windows' netstat.exe
prints port numbers (try 'wine -- netstat.exe -a') if
the service isn't found, so it expects to deal with
failure.  MSDN documents the return value as NULL if
the service isn't found, and this matches
getservbyport(3).

Ahh, I think I see your point:  the Wine+Linux variant
uses /etc/services, while Windows uses a file of the
same format, but in a different location
(system\services for Win9x, typically
system32\drivers\etc\services for WinNT+).  Is that
right?

In that case, I'm not sure what the correct behavior
should be.  On one hand, it doesn't match Windows'
behavior 100% when using a real Windows install.  On
the other hand, it'll match native (Linux) programs'
behavior on the same machine.

Because a user (non-developer) can't take any action
to correct this, I think the output is unnecessary.
Point taken that at least a TRACE may be useful,
though, since it's of use to developers.

Or this there another reason I'm missing?
--Juan