SystemParametersInfoA very slow

Andrew de Quincey adq_dvb at lidskialf.net
Fri Nov 28 17:21:45 CST 2003

Hi, as I'm quite new to this project, I thought I'd check before starting to
do stuff to avoid duplication/stepping on peoples toes.

Initially, I've been trying to get Datarescue IDA working... the actual
application works fine, but certain operations take a long time to complete
(e.g. the open file dialogue takes 20 seconds to appear on my 2GHz machine).

Some tracing shows the problem is SystemParametersInfoA... IDA calls this
thousands of times when doing certain things, and as the current
implementation is a bit slow, it really adds up.

I hacked a quick test into to cache a couple of the parameters it accesses,
which really helped the problem.

Is anyone else working on this area right now? If not, I'll get going on doing
something properly.