SystemParametersInfoA very slow

Andrew de Quincey adq_dvb at lidskialf.net
Sat Nov 29 11:46:29 CST 2003

On Saturday 29 November 2003 17:32, Peter Berg Larsen wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> > Initially, I've been trying to get Datarescue IDA working... the actual
> > application works fine, but certain operations take a long time to
> > complete (e.g. the open file dialogue takes 20 seconds to appear on my
> > 2GHz machine).
> >
> > Is anyone else working on this area right now? If not, I'll get going on
> > doing something properly.
>
> I am, but I have taken a different approach: The console version idaw.exe
> is in my experience 5-10 times faster (analizing) than the graphical
> version (idag.exe).
>
> My approach have been to patch the console as the output from the console
> is somewhat poor as it is shown in ascii.  Yesterday I sent some patches
> that makes the console support unicode and allows the xterm to be resized.
> I am running ida in 132x43 which is nearly perfect except for some color
> problems.

Cool! Unfortunately I'm kinda addicted to the GUI version now... (though the
console version was good in its day) but its good to know other people are
looking in this.

One thing I noticed was if you hid all the views in the GUI version, the
analsis speed shoots way up (though its still not as fast as it is under
windows). I'm in the middle of adding some simple profiling support to the
wine +relay trace mode so I can track down exactly what causes this.