Splitting out shared Win16/Win32 code

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 29 16:01:04 CST 2003

Hello Capser,

--- Casper Hornstrup <chorns at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Dlls/winmm/lolvldrv.c has a function (MMDRV_Message) shared by the
> Win16 and the Win32 implementation of mmsystem. Since it is shared
> by both mmsystem.dll and winmm.dll, all Win16 APIs used in the shared
> functions will be imported by the Win32 implementation (winmm.dll)
> also. On ReactOS no such APIs exist so the library will not load.

Yup there are a few places where you will see this problem, Winmm,
comdlg32 and some spots in User and GDI. The User and GDI parts are not
that big of a deal for the ReactOS port though. We can pick and chose
code snips as needed.

> I see two immediate solutions:
>
> 1) Check with a preprocessor variable and not compile the Win16 part
> of the shared Win16/Win32 functions when --disable-win16 is
> specified.

I like this method but it adds a few more Ugly #ifdefs to the code. We
need to keep these changes as small as possible.

> 2) Duplicate the shared code in a Win32 specific file and Win16
> specific file.

It submitted a patch for this problem a while back in comdlg32 and it
went to the silent void that is Alexandres patch rejection que....
http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-patches/2003/10/0265.html

> How should it be handled?

Alexandre?

Thanks