[Curses] Choose curses so library at startup (4/5)

Peter Berg Larsen pebl at math.ku.dk
Sat Nov 29 22:30:19 CST 2003

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Peter Berg Larsen <pebl at math.ku.dk> writes:
> > I might be missing something here: The only thing we see by compiletime is
> > headerfiles. At runtime we try dlopen a library what we hope corresponce
> > to the headerfiles. There is no garantee that it is.

> That's why we get the soname at compile time, and dlopen that.

I dont follow you here? The soname comes from autoconf? (which
compiles dummy.c and and looks at it with ldd)

> It's not 100% foolproof, but it's the best we can do. But now if you
> open a different library, all bets are off, it has no reason to be
> compatible with the headers we used at compile time.

The existence of headers and sonames (versions) are test independently in
autoconf (which I would see as a bug if they werent compatible).

I would agree with you allmost any time. But (of cause there is a but) we
are only using functions that was standard pre waaay old and I did
actually spend some time looking for functions/types etc. and nothing has
changed. As we are not touching internal stuff, allocating structs or
termcap/terminfo etc. I am convinced that they are binary compatible (and
I ran wine with some of the oldes curses lib I could find).

Peter