FontDlg sample text

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Sun Nov 30 06:55:34 CST 2003

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

>"Shachar Shemesh" <wine-patches at shemesh.biz> wrote:
>

>>    * Add sample text characters for Symbol, Japanese, Greek, Turkish,
>>      Arabic, Baltic, Vietnamese, Russian, East European and Thai codepages.
>>

>Why to not add them into resources? That would simplify locale
>handling a lot, and make our translators actually notice that
>strings as well.

The main reason is that they are loaded based on encoding, rather than
language. This has several implications that caused me not to go that route:
1. The mapping between encoding and charcter encoding is not a
straightforward one. The reverse mapping is even less so.
2. The mapping is based on the selected locale, and does not care about
the current language.

These two mean that placing the sample text in a resource will only
server to confuse the issue. The first point is even harder - what if
you want different sample text for Chinese BIG-5 and the other Chinese
encoding? Which language should I try to load for centeral Europe?
French? German? I can only load one.

In short, doing that through resources seems like an unnecessary
complication to me. Add to that the fact that you still need the mapping
table, and you get "ain't worth the hassle".

                Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Open Source integration & consulting

The opinions expressed in this mail are my own, and do not necessarily
represent the opinions of my employer.
Wait! I am self employed! Hmm...