Translating WINE using dedicated tools

Martin Quinson mquinson at ens-lyon.fr
Wed Oct 1 03:25:38 CDT 2003

[Please CC me, I'm not subscribed to this list]

Hello,

I've read in the last Wine KC that you are getting troubles to keep the
translation of wine uptodate. I am pretty well involved in the translation
of free software, and this is a common issue for all of us. It is so common
that I did a program to deal easily with the translation of any kind of
resource. This is called po4a (po for anything), and you can find more
details about this on http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/po4a and
http://www.nongnu.org/po4a/ .

The idea is to ease the convertions resource -> po file and then
po -> resource when the translation is done. So, checking if the translation
is uptodate is as easy as used the dedicated tools of the gettext world.

Po4a is fully modular, and all we have to do to let wine using it is a new
(perl) module to parse it. You can find more details about how to do a
module using `perldoc Locale::Po4a::TransTractor` once the program is
installed.

I would like to help here, but I need to know the gramar of the resource
files. Do you have any parsers around there ? The better would be to have
Perl based ones, since this is the language used in po4a.

What do you guys think?
Mt.

[Please CC me, I'm not subscribed to this list]

discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
          --- Isaac Asimov