Translating WINE using dedicated tools

Vincent Béron vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca
Wed Oct 1 11:58:15 CDT 2003

Le mer 01/10/2003 à 04:25, Martin Quinson a écrit :
> [Please CC me, I'm not subscribed to this list]
>
> Hello,
>
> I've read in the last Wine KC that you are getting troubles to keep the
> translation of wine uptodate. I am pretty well involved in the translation
> of free software, and this is a common issue for all of us. It is so common
> that I did a program to deal easily with the translation of any kind of
> resource. This is called po4a (po for anything), and you can find more
> details about this on http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/po4a and
> http://www.nongnu.org/po4a/ .
>
> The idea is to ease the convertions resource -> po file and then
> po -> resource when the translation is done. So, checking if the translation
> is uptodate is as easy as used the dedicated tools of the gettext world.
>
> Po4a is fully modular, and all we have to do to let wine using it is a new
> (perl) module to parse it. You can find more details about how to do a
> module using `perldoc Locale::Po4a::TransTractor` once the program is
> installed.

I'm involved in translating Mozilla and Wine to French, and both don't
use po files, so you'll have to convince me to use this format (I know
it's the standard Unix way and that there are some tools for it).

> I would like to help here, but I need to know the gramar of the resource
> files. Do you have any parsers around there ? The better would be to have
> Perl based ones, since this is the language used in po4a.

There's a bison/lex one (check in tools/wrc/*.y). Don't know how to
modify it, and don't know Perl either :)

Basically, what we need is both a way of knowing that everything has
been translated (included in the various language files), and then
making sure it's still uptodate (tracking modifications between master
versions). At least, that's the way we do it for Mozilla.

Vincent