Wineconf 2004, otherwise known as...

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Fri Oct 3 04:24:12 CDT 2003

Tom wrote:

> Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>
>> Go for it!
>>
>> As for content - if nobody vulenteers to pick up this challange, I'll
>> do it. I'll have to warn you that you will then have to hear both
>> Alexandre and Dimi :-)
>>

> Okay, ive set on the side lines about this for the most part...
> But here is my $.02, If you dont like it remimber its mine and not
> yours! ...
>
> I say we just #$%$ decide where its going to be held. I pick McMurdo..
> But I know its not going to be held there..
>
> So my vote is for MN
> if its held in MN, I will show, if not i'm out.
> I know im not a core developer but I like this project.
> And I would just like to have the chance to meet and learn
> from everyone. And most of all have some fun!
>
> MN = 1
> England =
> France =
> Germany =
> Italy =
> Israel =
> McMurdo Station antarctica =
>
> I propose we vote on this as no one is going to be happy untill we do.
> And in the end whatever the outcome is just call it life.
>
> Now I want my $.02 back!
>
> Tom

I think you are missing something very basic - in order for a country or
a city to be an option, someone has to suggest to pick up all
administration related to that city/country. Thus far, our options are
(if I understand correctly):

   1. St. Paul, Minneapolis, US - organized by Jeremy White
   2. Jakob Erikkson's living room, Sweden - Jakob Erikkson (very cheap
      conference center, limited space)
   3. Munich, Germany - Stefan Leichter - We have not heard back from
      you on whether this is still an option, Stephan.
   4. On a small snowboard, on the snowy slopes of a yet unknown Ski
      resort in France - Lionel Ulmer. Advantages - wonderful air, great
      atmosphere, can merge with ski vacation. Disadvantage - speaker
      will have to speak fast, and while zig-zaggin.
   5. An activity conference, where we go search for the hidden
      communist inside a stray bear in a randomy picked Russian town
      during a particularily cold winter (St. Petersburg and Siberia
      were suggested). Dmitry Timoshkov seemed keen to organize that one.
   6. Sorrento, Italy - Ivan Leo Murray-Smith - Advantage - seems very
      cheap.

Jakob, Boaz & myself favour 3 or 6. Jakob would also like 2. Brian
Vincent prefers 1 or 4. Nobody liked 5 very much. Dimi and Ivan like 6.
Jeremey likes 3 (despite offering to organize 1, mind you), and Tom will
only go for 1 (and he offered us a piece of his mind, but then wanted
his money back).

2 - 1 vote
3 - 4 votes
4 - 2 votes
5 - noone. Nothing. Zilch. Nada.
6 - 5 votes.

For the time being, it appears that option 6 is the most popular. I
suspect that if Stefan shows that he is commited to pulling it off, he
is quite capable of having a home-located conference.

I think the most important question now is whether Stefan can commit to
organizing a conference in Munich. If yes - we will hold a vote with
three options. If not, it's either Sorrento or the Mall of America.

Stefan?

             Shachar

P.S.

As far as content organizing goes - In order for things not to fall
through the cracks, I have offered myself as a backup content
administrator. I think there are better qualified people on this list
for this task, and I will give them a chance to step forward and say
they'll do it. If until Novemeber 1st noone does say he is taking this
task on himself, I'll take charge of this.

Another note is that, having organized a conference not long ago - we
have to start the facilities negotiation now in order to be ready for
January. For that reason, if you think that if anyone doesn't like the
intermediate result (Sorrento), please say so now. As with open source
projects world wide - if you want to suggest an alternative, you have to
be willing to send a patch (i.e. - implement it yourself).

          Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Open Source integration consultant