Of Start Menu, Shortcuts and broken functions...

Mike McCormack mike at codeweavers.com
Sat Oct 4 13:14:44 CDT 2003

Hi Subhobroto,

Unfortunately, it's not just as simple as enumerating "C:\Windows\Start
Menu", though that would be a good start.

To do things exactly the same way as Windows does them, we have to make
a shell namespace that contains all the stuff on the start menu, then
enumerate that.  Furthermore, since the namespace is dynamic, the menu
really should be constructed on the fly, not just written to an .desktop
file.

I had a bit of discussion with Robert van Herk about this (see the
thread about ""Start menu" (continued)" on this list).  I mentioned to
him that I thought the best way to solve the problem would be to write a
gnome-vfs library and KDE plugin that query a wine process for the
structure of the startmenu at runtime.

For starters we could just use the 'Start Menu' directory, but you miss
out on things like Outlook Express and Internet Explorer's Icons,
because there's no .lnk file for those... they are created by a shell
namespace extension (I think :).

Anyway, it would be great if we figured out the remaining structure of
.lnk files, and finished the IShellLink implementation properly, and no
matter how things are done, we need that code to be complete.  The best
way to do that, IMO, is to examine alot of .lnk files from windows
systems :)

Mike