Theme configuration options

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 8 13:39:47 CDT 2003

--- Kevin Koltzau <kevin at plop.org> wrote:
> I'm not very familiar with how the winelook is handled in code, what
> does it
> do exactly? if it simply affects system metrics & colors that would
> be easily
> merged with themes, if its more then that (like for example different
> common
> dialogs) it may be more difficult

For the most part this is all it seems to do. Differnt mertics and
Windows styles. You can see examples of this by looking at the sources
for the edit control. With the common diaglogs there is code that
implements a Win31 theme if a you want to use it with a Win32 app. I
was just going to submit a patch to rm -fr this code but if people want
to use a 3.1 style on a new app I guess we should figure a way to do
this in the theme support.

> Full blown theming in windows uses a combination of .theme files and
> .msstyles
> files.
>
> .theme files I believe existed before XP and do not use uxtheme.dll.
> They
> primarilly just define system metrics and colors (along with icons
> for things
> like My Computer, etc and mouse cursors).
>
> .msstyles files are the basis of uxtheme.dll, and allow much broader
> theming
> support as seen in WinXP, as well as defining system metrics & colors
> (but do
> not define icons & cursors).
>
> The two theme formats are coupled very loosely, they can be used
> together
> (primarily to enable defining icons & cursors with a graphical theme)
> or
> seperate. When used together, any metrics & colors defined in the
> msstyles
> override those defined in the .theme
>
> Alexandre has requested I use the registry keys that windows uses to
> define
> theme configuration, in which case under XP those keys are located in
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes
> and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager

> The configuration seems to be split between those two locations, with
> a couple
> options in both. HKCU primarily contains configuration related to
> XP's
> msstyles method of theming, HKLM looks to primarilly define theming
> with .theme files (although there is some slight crossover between
> the two).

I dont know what the best method is going to be to handle the old
Winelook option. I think it should just go to /dev/null but I dont know
what the result will be on older Win16 apps running with a 9x Winelook.
Can anyone comment on this? Is there still a large number of people
that want to keep this around?

Thanks
Steven