attaching or inlining? what to do when you're stuck with a stupid mail client???

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Thu Oct 9 16:10:57 CDT 2003

Geoff Thorpe wrote:

>Couldn't the wine-patches list server simply pull the emails apart and
>reconstruct them according to some simple rules? I'm no Perl hacker, but
>I'm sure this could be stitched together easily by someone who is.

I think I can do that. What I suggest:
Attachments must be either .diff or .patch. If you want, they can be bz2
or gz compressed. Mime type is disregarded. Also, the mail must be
non-HTML (or, at least, must have a text only component). Emails that
don't qualify are bounced.

Emails that do qualify are checked. If the mime type is "text/plain",
and the extension is .diff or .patch, the mail is passed through.
If the email has a different mime type, or is compressed, it will be
extracted and uncompressed. If it has an HTML component, it will be
stripped. It will then be remailed (this time passing the filter, as it
is text only).

I'm willing to give it some time, but only if the people in power say
that they are going to implement it.

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh