DameWare Mini Remote Control vs Wine

Gregory M. Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Fri Oct 10 10:09:45 CDT 2003

On Thursday 09 October 2003 08:54 pm, Tom Hibbert wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I'm running DameWare Mini Remote Control under Wine here. This is a
> pretty cool setup as some of our clients
>
> have no windows servers (only linux), and the idea is that we can VNC to
> a Linux firewall or file server and then use DameWare through Wine to
> take control of PCs that we need to remotely administer.
>
> DameWare has a handy function to actually install the service on a
> remote box using RPC. Just by looking at the debug logs, what it does is
> create a temporary share on the machine its running from and then
> connect to the remote box's admin$ share where it (presumably) executes
> the installer.
>
> Unfortunately wine's RPC implementation doesn't seem to go far enough
> for this to work. I've tried loading dlls natively
>
> (going all the way up to advapi32) and I get ever increasing errors.
> Mainly its complaining about missing implementations for (presumably)
> rarely used rpc functions.
>
> Maybe one of you RPC gurus would like to take a look at it.

Unfortunately, I don't think that is going to work.  RPC alone is not enough,
wine cannot do SMB sharing; for example it has no admin$ share, and API's to
add and remove shares don't work.  It might be possible to fill in the gaps
with samba, if file-sharing is all that's needed...  But if it's really
remote RPC's, wine also lacks support for RPC's across machines, even if they
are both wine machines.

--
gmt

"The vice I am talking about is Pride or Self-Conceit: and
the virtue opposite to it, in Christian morals, is called
Humility. ... According to Christian teachers, the essential vice,
the utmost evil, is Pride.  Unchastity, greed, drunkenness, and
all that, are mere flea-bites in comparison: it was through Pride
that the devil became the devil: Pride leads to every other vice:
it is the complete anti-God state of mind." --C. S. Lewis