WINE porting templates

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 12 14:03:24 CDT 2003

--- "Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com> wrote:
> On October 11, 2003 06:40 pm, Steven Edwards wrote:
> > I really dont want to have a ReactOS column in the list as the
> ReactOS
> > project is planning on properly branching winehq cvs when WINE
> reaches
> > reaches 0.9/1.0.
>
> Why would you want to branch, I would have thought that you want to
> keep a common codebase. There is no reason most of Wine's DLL not to
> work out of the box for the ReactOS project. I wouldn't worry about
> the political aspect for now, I still think it would be a good idea
> to know how many DLLs you guys are using. In fact, nobody will blame
> us as you say, we will mark you (or the ReactOS team) as being
> responsible for the port, so you will have to field support/requrest
> questions.

Well yes in the "should" work out of the box under ReactOS but most
dont work perfectly atm due to bugs in our Win32k/GDI/User32
implementaion. I agree it would be nice to keep better track of this on
the WINE porting page and I do want to have a common codebase with as
little or no forking if possible but like I said I dont want to flood
Winehq with ReactOS bugs reports when its not the fault of one of the
WINE dlls.

Currently ReactOS is on its 1.x branch and we still have problems using
the WINE dlls as shown below:
http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-devel/2003/10/att-0145/02-taskmgr.png
http://www.reactos.com/content/view/full/305/

I dont make policy in ReactOS as to layout of CVS and code sharing so
this has to be discusses with our kernel maintainer. I would suggest
that for the time being the ReactOS should fork the dlls/programs we
need using CVS branching untill all of our rendering problems are
fixed. During this time I can make weekly snapshots of Winehq mingw
builds avaliable for people that really want them. After ReactOS 2.0
Maybe we can drop our own forking of this code and work right out of
Winehq.

Thanks
Steven