WINE porting templates

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Mon Oct 13 10:03:22 CDT 2003

On October 12, 2003 03:03 pm, Steven Edwards wrote:
> Well yes in the "should" work out of the box under ReactOS but most
> dont work perfectly atm due to bugs in our Win32k/GDI/User32
> implementaion. I agree it would be nice to keep better track of this on
> the WINE porting page and I do want to have a common codebase with as
> little or no forking if possible but like I said I dont want to flood
> Winehq with ReactOS bugs reports when its not the fault of one of the
> WINE dlls.

I think forking them does no one no favours, either Wine for ReactOS.
If our code is OK, tweaking it to work around bugs in ReactOS is a
very, very bad idea:
  -- you end up with a system capable of running just some tweaked apps
  -- it diminishes incentive to fix the real problem
  -- we end up with a forked codebase
Similarly, if we have problems in our codebase, we'd appreciate fixes,
or at least to know about it. This is the entire reason to want our
stuff to be portable -- to have other people test the code and report
(or even fix) problems. If you fork the code, you also cut the stream
of patches flowing into Wine.

In the end we both lose. Even if you don't care about Wine, I can't see
how forking anything is a good idea for ReactOS.

--
Dimi.