winesetuptk

Alex Pasadyn ajp at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Oct 13 13:27:47 CDT 2003

Vincent Béron wrote:
> Alex, I tried to make winesetuptk keep comments after a key (see first
> chunk of CBase.itcl), but I had some problems making sure all calls to
> DataAddKey had another arg named aComment. There was at least one call
> which would make it crash.
> I can revive my attempt at that, or we can just make winesetuptk eat
> those comments.

It shouldn't be too hard to preserve them.  I'd like the thing to be
able to read my config file and write it back with only whitespace changes.

> Is an empty string {} or "" in TCL?

Well, the trouble with Tcl is that there are no real data types, so
depending on the commands used, the contents of variables and constants
can be interpreted different ways.  The {}, "", [list ], and undecorated
constructions do very different things, but in some simple cases (e.g.
null strings or strings containing only a-z,0-9), they give the same
results.  This results in many people not bothering to learn the
difference until they can't get their script to work (e.g. it fails only
for certain input data).  :)  Sorry, but I've spent a lot of time
helping people with things like that!  That said, I normally use "" to
denote anything that I mean to be a literal string, always construct
lists using [list ], etc, just so it's obvious what was intended even if
I could save a few characters by doing it a different way.

> If you work on it, could you also look in how the [spooler] section is
> read/written, so we don't lose "FILE" in case we edit a file containing
> it?

Yeah, I just tried running the SourceForge version of it for the fist
time, and I noticed the same thing with my WinMM section getting deleted.

> With both patches applied, the default config and registry look pretty
> much the same (except for some trivial things like which drive is home,
> tmp, etc.) to what wineinstall gives us. Which can lead to the question,
> what's the purpose of it if wineinstall can do it?

With the SourceForge version, I backed up my settings and let it create
a new config file, and it was at least good enough to run some simple
apps, and I think that's all people are looking for right now.  Now, my
computer is Linux-only, so if there are any problems with the detection
of Windows partitions, someone else will have to report about them.

Later tonight I'll make those changes and merge these patches from today
together and send an update.

BTW I'm starting a new thread for some other discussion...

Alex