Wine Start menu

Robert van Herk robert at robertvanherk.nl
Mon Oct 13 13:46:28 CDT 2003

Hi all,

As some of you might know I am working on a Wine Start menu, for Linux.

I have heard different things on this list about the way Windows treats
the start menu.

Some told me that it would be better to make a Windows (wine) client
that reads the actual start menu by querying a Wine dll, while others
told me that this is not neccesairy as all the links are contained in
the Start Menu directory.

 From looking at my Windows installation, I must agree that it seems
that all items in Programs are indeed in the Start Menu directory.

So, my question is: would it be enough to create just a Linux program
that synchronizes with this directory? Can anyone give me an example of
a lnk file that IS actually missing in a Start Menu directory, but is
there in his Program folder in the Windows start menu?

Does anyone know how far people came at parsing the lnk files for Linux?
I read something about the .lnk format, but I don't really feel like
writing my own link file parser ;-). Does anybody know of parts of other
software that could be recycled here?

Grtz,

Robert