Wine Start menu

Gregory M. Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Mon Oct 13 14:40:50 CDT 2003

On Monday 13 October 2003 01:46 pm, Robert van Herk wrote:
> So, my question is: would it be enough to create just a Linux program
> that synchronizes with this directory? Can anyone give me an example of
> a lnk file that IS actually missing in a Start Menu directory, but is
> there in his Program folder in the Windows start menu?

Not offhand, but my guess is that, eventually, some fancy feature will be
lacking unless wine/winelib is brought into the picture, for example,
control-panel, "My Computer" or context-sensitive right-click menu-actions,
the fancy docking capability of Windows Media Player 9, etc.  One thing I do
know for sure -- those don't /have/ to be .lnk files in there... they could
be .exe's or .mp3's or whatever, and in Windows, "the right thing" would
happen....

That is not to say that a rational cost/bene analysis will not ultimately
favor a pure-linux implementation, depending on where your code is going....
but my bias would be towards a wine/winelib implementation.  Do you forsee
this code going into wine or into kde/gnome, or remaining as a separate
thing?  What relationship would you like between your code and wine's
"explorer.exe," once it has one?

Codeweavers has done a lot of work with shortcuts & menuitems, to make them
work with different distros... so they might know what some of the
nitty-gritty details are (Unfortunately, I do not).  You may also want to
look at LiteStep, ReactOS's explorer, and other windows shell-replacement
software for clues.

Good luck!

--
gmt

"The vice I am talking about is Pride or Self-Conceit: and
the virtue opposite to it, in Christian morals, is called
Humility. ... According to Christian teachers, the essential vice,
the utmost evil, is Pride.  Unchastity, greed, drunkenness, and
all that, are mere flea-bites in comparison: it was through Pride
that the devil became the devil: Pride leads to every other vice:
it is the complete anti-God state of mind." --C. S. Lewis