Wine Start menu

Gregory M. Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Tue Oct 14 02:09:10 CDT 2003

On Monday 13 October 2003 04:56 pm, Ivan Leo Murray-Smith wrote:
> There already is an app that can do the menus, the ros explorer. If it was
> compiled as a winelib app, it would solve the menu problem, at least for
> who likes desktop mode (And the ros explorer makes wine look like a "real"
> emulator)

Yes but I think what Robert van Herk wants is something integrated with the
window manager.  For example his recent post suggests a picture like

[wine .exe server] <--> [native linux client] <--> [kde / gnome / twm]

The real challenge would presumably be on the linux client side, and obviously
the data transport provides some exciting open questions.

There is a certain logic to this arrangement imo... who wants some wacky
"explorer.exe" if they are simply thumbing through the kde or gnome menus?
Not that I disapprove of ros explorer, quite the contrary!  ros explorer
approximates the behavior of windows explorer, which wine needs for a number
of reasons, not the least of which is that it's an integral part of the OS...
whereas I think Robert van Herk means to create a bridge or portal allowing
native frameworks like gnome to integrate the wine menus into their own...

Correct me if I have this all wrong of course :P  But if that's the case then
it's a different animal from ros explorer, and imo a worthwhile effort.

--
gmt

"The vice I am talking about is Pride or Self-Conceit: and
the virtue opposite to it, in Christian morals, is called
Humility. ... According to Christian teachers, the essential vice,
the utmost evil, is Pride.  Unchastity, greed, drunkenness, and
all that, are mere flea-bites in comparison: it was through Pride
that the devil became the devil: Pride leads to every other vice:
it is the complete anti-God state of mind." --C. S. Lewis