[ros-kernel] Re: WINE porting templates

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 15 13:45:36 CDT 2003

Hello All,
Jason is right I think. I spoke with Alexandre the other night about
implementing a Win32k.sys driver for WINE so we could use GDI32/User32
and it might be do-able it wont be somthing that is possible for at
least another year at the rate we are sharing code.

Wines user32 depends on a few direct Wineserver calls and has quite a
bit of old design issues from the Win16 days that will need to be fixed
first. Not to mention Unixisms in a few places and of course ReactOS
Win32k-User32 commuincation system uses our own system calls so that
would need to be implemented in another way. I think the method we have
currently for advapi32,kernel32,gdi32,ntdll and user32 are the best at
the moment. We try to rip the source file as a whole such as the
controls and string functions in user32 so we can easyly diff back to
Winehq. For the other pure Win32 such as comctl32, shell32, ole*32,
shlwapi and friends this is not a issues as we can just recompile
without forking but for the lower level dlls we are going to need to
keep forking. =(

Thanks
Steven