[ros-kernel] Re: WINE porting templates

Vizzini vizzini at plasmic.com
Wed Oct 15 14:08:36 CDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 10:57, Eric Kohl wrote:
> "Jason Filby" <jasonfilby at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > User32 and gdi32 are likely to be a problem as the bulk of our
> > implementation is in kernel mode win32k.sys.
>
> More problems will be caused by advapi32 and rpcrt4 because ReactOS will use
> LPC instead of Unix-Sockets for local IPC.

I'd like to see a definitive list of wine DLLs and how they can be used
by ReactOS:

 - those that we can use directly from WINE with minimal or no
modifications
   - comctl32
   - shell32
   - shlwapi
   - ole*
   - others?

 - those that require significant architectural modifications and/or
those that we can only import specific sections of code

    - advapi32
    - kernel32
    - user32
    - gdi32
    - ntdll

These are incomplete; please add to them.  For those on list 2, what do
you think the best strategy really is in porting some of the usable
code?  We can, again, keep a locally-modified vesrion in CVS, if there
are major chunks of those libraries that can be used directly.

Also, how would wine feel about adding ReactOS-specific code with some
conditional compilation or something?

I do hate to fork code...

 -Vizzini