FIX for BUG in IPersistFile::Load() since Wine-20030618 !

Subhobroto Sinha pasha_3d at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 16 13:36:50 CDT 2003

First I had to learn COM (Aaaahhg!!!...), then learnt
to translate COM to C++.
(Learning COM was the hardest part since I had to hire
some computer time from our local computer parlour
which has Windows boxes alongwith VC++, and then I had
to juggle to and forth from there to home after my
college hours..)

Then created my OWN Win32 app (from scratch..) to read
and resolve .lnk files.
Then translated the Win32 app to PURE C++, so that it
ran under GNU/Linux...

Then applied the knowledge to Wine, and got the
IPersistFile::Load() working...

So the attachment "ShellLink.zip" contains the
modified "dll/shell32/shellink.c" file which fixes the
BUG in Load().

Sorry, but it's the WHOLE file.
I have changed the original file so much that to
submit a proper patch I need an unmodified
"shelllink.c" (I do have a backup, but where was that
?)

So in the meantime befor I submit a proper patch,
check it out.

Instructions: (duh!)
--------------------

Just create a backup of the existing "shelllink.c" and
then copy this attached "shelllink.c" to
"dlls/shell32/shelllink.c"
 Type 'make'; copy the new "shell32.dll.so" to your
installed wine folder (you should be root), and run
any program which resolves shortcuts.

You can try the "linkresolve.exe.so" (from my previous
posts. See the archvies..) or WineMenuBuilder.

Hoping to recive reports soon (send them at
[subhobrotosinha at yahoo.com]

Regards

Subhobroto Sinha