named pipes problem?

Gregory M. Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Sun Oct 19 01:00:51 CDT 2003

On Saturday 18 October 2003 12:38 pm, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Mike Hearn <mike at theoretic.com> writes:
> > Alexandre - this is your area. Any ideas?
>
> Your glibc is using TLS. Support for that is not ready yet. Depending
> on your system you need to either set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4 or install
> another glibc that doesn't use TLS.

hmm... "emerge glibc" says:

../../linuxthreads/configure' '--with-gd=no' '--without-cvs'
'--disable-profile' '--without-tls' '--without-__thread'
'--enable-add-ons=linuxthreads' '--enable-kernel=2.4.1'
'--srcdir=../../linuxthreads'

which ostensibly would seem to contradict your prognosis... (although I assume
you are nevertheless correct -- this is not the root-dir configure, so maybe
it's misleading me. I will poke at it again to see what gentoo is really
doing next time I boot up that box).

As for LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4... the result is very similar to that of "rm -rf
/," or at least "rm -rf /lib /usr/lib" -- no love.

However, I do not despair.  I upgraded my nptl box to nptl 0.60, gcc 3.3.1,
and glibc2.3.2-branch-update-20030927, and it's running wine now, at long
last.  yay!  Far more satisfying than running it in that nasty vm anyhow....

So, whereas before I had without-nptl wine and no with-nptl wine, now I have
with-nptl wine and no without-nptl wine.  *sigh* when will I learn my lesson
and just run Red Hat? ;)

--
gmt

"class 'SfxPoolCancelManager' only defines a
 private destructor and has no friends"
   -- gcc, resorting to unnecessary character attacks