MDI windows, MDIClient and mdiclient

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Sun Oct 19 08:01:17 CDT 2003

Hi all,

I am trying to make an application work under wine. The app is probably
an MFC app, that defenitely uses MDI. The problem boils down to this -
it tries to create an MDI window by doing SendMessageA to a message of
type "WM_MDICREATE". Here's the catch - the class it wants to use is in
Unicode. This fails for obvious reasons.

I'm trying to find my way around the MDI setting, and phrase a
regression test. However, I cannot seem to create the exact same
circumstances. When looking at the original app using Spy++, I see that
the application has a window from the very start of the app (long before
it sends WM_MDICREATE), which does not appear to have WS_EX_MDICHILD
set, but which has a child window of class "MDIClient".

Running the same app in Wine using --debugmsg +win,+class, I can see
that it asks to open a window of class "mdiclient". I do not, however,
see anywhere that such a class was ever registered! Furthermore - the
call succeeds.

Can anyone enlighten me? Is this window necessary whenever an MDI is
present? If so, what function do I use on the parent window to tell it
that it is to be an MDI container?

             Many thanks,

                      Shachar

--