Xlib and wine and XGrabButton

Gerhard W. Gruber sparhawk at gmx.at
Mon Oct 20 16:11:12 CDT 2003

I currently write a small desktop app (in case you are curious
http://sourceforge.net/projects/launchmenu) and for this I have to research on
how to grab mouse events and eventually keyboard as well. Now I thought that
this might be usefull for wine when playing games under the DirectX emulation,
so I checked the sources for XGrabButton()/XGrabKey() and I couldn't find any
references to it. When I tried to play Thief and Thief 2 I always had the
problem that the keys are going to the shell where I started it from, instead
of going into the game. I wrote a small test app for my project in order to
get this feature straight and there I could capture all mouse events (haven't
tried keyboard, but it should work equally well) without any interference with
the remaining X system. Is this intenttionally that these functions are not
used and if so what is the reason for it? Or is there a layer in between wine
and X so that wine is not using Xlib API directly?

I think that using this should work at least in programs where the entire
screen is taken over, like in games, probably other applications well.

--
Gerhard Gruber

Für jedes menschliche Problem gibt es immer eine einfache Lösung:
Klar, einleuchtend und falsch. (Henry Louis Mencken)