Proposal to resolve the issue of the broken wine-users gateway

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Oct 23 18:38:11 CDT 2003

Jer wrote:
> Say, Just chatting on IRC today, and ShadowHawk pointed out
> that a host of other sites (Franks corner, etc) have sprung up
> almost entirely because there are no user based forums
> on winehq.org.
>
> This is, in part, due to the fact that the gateway between
> the newsgroup and wine-users is busted.  And it is that way,
> because the gateway we were using is a dead project, and Jer
> hasn't been able to wrestle it back into working
> (and doesn't really want to).
>
> Further, I think it may be time to recognize that cool looking
> forums are what users expect; that mailing lists and newsgroups
> are really becoming the 'old' way of doing things.

Nah.  Forums blow donkey dong because they aren't easily
google-searchable.  I think we can get what users want by
asking http://www.gmane.org/ to handle the gateway;
then users that want a web interface can trivially
use a gateway like http://groups.google.com.

And that'd be *even less* work for Jer than setting up
and maintaining Phorum.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel