FoldStringA (using W version)

Jon Griffiths jon_p_griffiths at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 24 09:11:19 CDT 2003

Hi,

> This won't work as by definition a WinAPI function is usually not
> supposed to reset the last error if no error has occurred, so
> GetLastError() may return an error even though the strings were
> just simply equal.

Of course it 'works':

SetLastError(0);
SomeCall();
if (GetLastError()) { ... }

This is common, albeit braindead, Windows programming practice.

> So I think that documentation is just simply wrong, also MSDN
> doesn't say anything about this function returning any error
> indication.

The documentation is _correct_ for the _implementation_ of these
functions. Please read the code.

I didn't implement these functions, I simply documented how they
behave under Wine. If you think their implementation differs in an
important way from native Windows, please submit a bug and/or test
case and/or a code patch to remove the difference. If you believe
they behave differently for good reason, please submit a
documentation patch describing the difference for developers using
these functions.

The fact that MSDN doesn't describe an error return does not mean
there isn't one. Of course it doesn't mean there is, either. Perhaps
lstrcmp crashes on invalid input under native, I don't know. The only
way to know for sure is to write and run a test. Feel free!

Cheers,
Jon

=====
"Don't wait for the seas to part, or messiahs to come;
 Don't you sit around and waste this chance..." - Live

jon_p_griffiths at yahoo.com