French keyboard layout with Euro symbol

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Tue Oct 28 23:28:00 CST 2003

"Sylvain Petreolle" <spetreolle at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> At least, the detection mismatches should be fixed/explained IMHO.

I think that this topic was explained many times already.
Anyway, here is yet another attempt.

1. Keyboard detection code was introduced in order to make
some picky DOS games (expecting key presses to have fixed
scan codes) work with different X keyboard layouts. Since
win32 apps do not depend on it that's not a problem at all
for them.

2. Another problem was that each keyboard layout in x11drv had
its own code page for X event to unicode translations. That's
now solved as well by introducing CP_UNIXCP support. Once
the underlying system has a correctly configured locale,
keyboard input in Wine (as well as a general locale support)
should work just fine.

3. Another (existing) problem is that each keyboard layout still
has a virtual keyboard map attached to it. It's unavoidable and
needed for correct support for QWERTY/AZERTY/etc. keyboard layouts,
when some applications really depend on it.

4. And the last problem I'm aware of is that we need to revamp
the keyboard detection code to fill the real keyboard map first,
and only then create keyc2vkey array depending on the real mapping,
not a hardcoded one. That's a minor problem, which I discovered
recently while debugging one of my supported apps.

--
Dmitry.