Forwards exports - anyone?

Rolf Kalbermatter rolf.kalbermatter at citeng.com
Wed Oct 29 12:12:18 CST 2003

Shachar Shemesh <wine-devel at shemesh.biz> wrote:

>I'm trying to implement unicows.dll. The theory is quite simple - since
>unicows merely implements unicode functions that exist, theoretically,
>only in Wine, all I have to do is create forwards (i.e. - ExtTextOutW in
>unicows.dll will call ExtTextOutW in GDI). This is slightly inefficient,
>but should solve our unicows.dll problems.
>
>If I can merely instruct the dynamic loader to return the GDI
>ExtTextOutW function when someone tries to link with the unicows
>ExtTextOutW, I can solve the inefficiency in a clean, working way
>without further problems.

I thought this was done in Wine in the spec files. Something such as:

@ stdcall ExtTextOutW(params) gdi32.ExtTextOutW

should do the trick. The function names need not to be the same.

The only limitation I have found is that you can't forward in this
way to ordinal exports but I may have missed something.

Rolf Kalbermatter