UI bugs hampering porting effort for shaped window

Rein Klazes rklazes at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 31 14:56:13 CST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:50:48 -0800, you wrote:

> hi Rein,
>
> >On my system everything works as expected: I get a list of all ip
> >addresses. That is with valid /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts entries.
>
> That's the trouble. Not every *nux box has the correct results - some do
> (like yours) - in fact I'd say many do not. We have done many Linux and
> Lindows installs, and none of them had the correct settings in /etc/hostname
> and /etc/hosts by default, except one. Incomplete install/configuration or
> not, the trouble is that windows guarantees this behaviour and *nix does
> not. In the real world, the results are lucky at best we get the correct
> results. Those who have tried our product offsite running under WINE run
> into the same issue - over and over, the results from gethostname passed
> into gethostbyname do not work as it does under windows all of the time.
> Worse, they sometimes return the external IP instead of internal IP
> addresses. Since we are a windows app - we can't adjust ourselves to bogus
> set up /etc/hostname configurations since we have no specific knowledge we
> are running under a *nix flavour (as we should not). In order to be
> compatible, you MUST guarantee the results from passing NULL or
> gethostbyname return a list of local IPs using a different method than
> /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts which isn't working right on all *nix machines.
> Seems that most people with external IPs had the correct results, but most
> people with internal IPs did not. This isn't always the case, but seems to
> be a common theme.

Uhh, I've seen several other windows programs that did not rely on the
NULL feature, perhaps because it is documented poorly. These programs do
gethostname() and then gethostbyname(). We will probably need a check in
the gethostbyname path to catch those programs as well.

In short: even a native linux program that does gethostname() ->
gethostbyname() is unlikely to get you these days something else then
127.0.0.1 Dhcp clients whose information is not available is one cause I
think.
Circumventing that when the program is running under wine is the
challenge.

Rein.
--
Rein Klazes