FAQ update

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Sep 9 15:17:13 CDT 2003

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
[...]
> I think you are missing the point of separating content from
> presentation.

I completely get the point. The whole point of CSS is to separate
content from presentation!

Do you actually know what CSS is?

I also take exception to your claim that defautl.dsl is the place to
tweak the look and feel of the documentation. I'm pretty sure this is
not what the DocBook guys had in mind.

> We should not try to "fix" the SGML tools, we
> should provide the content, not force everybody to use our
> colour scheme.

I am not trying to fix SGML. And I am not trying to impose any color
scheme on anybody either. Why do you imply that I do?

I'm just preserving what's already there. Furthermore I don't understand
why you absolutely want what little there is to be hardcoded in a hard
to change way and in a file that obviously noone understands, rather
than in a more flexible easier to understand place that's made for this
task.

> Any site that cares about this thing will probably
> have a customized default.dsl which integrates with _their_
> site, not our idea how things should look. And that customized
> default.dsl will either hadcode the colors, or use a CSS,
> it's their business, not ours.

The above should be:

Any site that cares about this thing will probably have a customized css
file which integrates with _their_ site, not our idea how things should
look. They will not want to try to fix the DocBook tools just to get
documentation that looks like they want. So we should not hardcode the
look and feel. The look and feel is their business, not ours.

        War doesn't determine who's right.  War determines who's left.