FAQ: Update the ports section

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Sat Sep 13 19:44:39 CDT 2003

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, Ivan Leo Murray-Smith wrote:

> >On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Ivan Leo Murray-Smith wrote:
> >
> >> The original sentence that started this is
> >[...]
> >>  "The list is current as of XX/XX/XXXX" is a solution that should make everybody
> >> happy.
> >
> >Not really because as the above clearly illustrates, this is not what
> >the original sentence said or meant to say. I really don't know why
> >everyone focused on this 'up-to-date' thing.
> >
> >*Sigh*
> This is just getting so boring, just use
> "The following lists the x86 operating systems supported by"
> and that can be the end of that (Hoping nobody starts discussing again about there
> great knowledge of slang and ignorance of english...)

Eh, eh... we've come full circle. Double *sigh*.

The above is what I posted which prompted Tom to write an email
suggesting the 'are' form which started this whole flamewar:

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Tom wrote:
> >-        The following will list the x86 operating systems supported by
> >+        The following lists the x86 operating systems supported by
> >

> Should be.
>
> The following list are the x86 operating systems supported by

Now I'll let all the participants start all over again for another
round of fun<g>. The perpetual machines of the future will be based on
flamewars. Mark my words!!!

               RFC 2549: ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2549.txt
                IP over Avian Carriers with Quality of Service