resend - system tray support

Rolf Kalbermatter rolf.kalbermatter at citeng.com
Mon Sep 15 15:28:18 CDT 2003

Message: 3
To: Mike Hearn <mike at theoretic.com>
Cc: wine-devel at winehq.com
Subject: Re: resend - system tray support
From: Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:20:42 -0700

Mike Hearn <mike at theoretic.com> writes:

>> I'm going to keep sending this flipping patch until it gets in, or I
>> find out what the next problem is you know. There's no escape! :)
>
>Well, at least the critical section handling is broken, but the real
>problem is that all this stuff doesn't belong in shell32. We should
>really redesign it to get rid of the internal WS_EX_TRAYWINDOW flag
>and have a separate process to manage the tray window (plus other
>background tasks like the progman DDE interface, and maybe the desktop
>window too).

Under W2K this is mostly implemented in shell32.dll. Most of what Explorer
actually is, including the progman DDE interface, is implemented in
shell32.dll and intialized by the shell explorer instance.
This does not mean that Wine has to do it this way, but if Wine ever
gets to the point where DLLs are drop in replacements for the native
ones, this functionality would eventuelly have to be implemented in
shell32 or at least have to be exported by it somehow.

Rolf Kalbermatter