winebuild & Winelib

Alexandre Julliard julliard at
Mon Sep 29 00:24:57 CDT 2003

"Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at> writes:

>> It will probably require
>> some tweaking of the winebuild command line options though, --spec and
>> --def are going to be confusing if we also accept .def files as input.
> Indeed, maybe we can rename --spec to just --lib (or --implib), as we
> are in fact creating an import library...

I was thinking we could use --dll, since that's what we are ultimately
building; and it fits well with --exe.

> So for this to work (say we have a MyStuff.DLL), I would add
> a -lMyStuff, and I'd have to have a MyStuff.DEF (?.def?) and
> MySfuff.DLL (?.dll?) into my -L dirs?

It should be named libMyStuff.def, by analogy with libMyStuff.a that
you'd use with mingw; but we could make it support MyStuff.def too if
needed. You don't need the dll at link time, only at run time.

Alexandre Julliard
julliard at